In both Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, the Avatar is most certainly allowed to love as it is known that at least five Avatars had a relationship.
- Avatar Kuruk was in love with Ummi and he was going to marry her, were it not for Koh kidnapping and taking her to the Spirit World.
- Avatar Kyoshi had a daughter with an unknown man.
- Avatar Roku was married to Ta Min and they had children together, as Ursa was the granddaughter of Roku.
- Avatar Aang was in love with Katara and the two got married and had three children together.
- Avatar Korra was in a relationship with Mako.
In The Last Airbender, the director, M. Night Shyamalan, changed a lot of things from the original series and he included in the movie that the Avatar was not allowed to have a family.